Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Staying Positive

“The greatest discovery of any generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitude.” ~ William James

Attitude: According to dictionary.com, attitude is defined as "a feeling or emotion toward a fact or state." This says to me that I can change my life by changing the feelings or emotions I have towards something. Sounds pretty easy, but then there's reality.


Some days are rough, like this morning. I had gathered up my clothes that I planned to wear today, but by the time I got to my room to get dressed, I had lost part of them. I was already a little late, so I looked around quickly and went and found something else. At lunch I found my lost clothes. I had stopped by our office to grab something and had dropped my clothes in there.

This morning I had a very strong feeling towards my day and it was not very positive. In fact I was in a bad mood for a while. Finally I stepped back and started to look for the positive. I started to look for things that would help me to change my emotions and feelings towards my day. This is the list I came up with to change my emotions:

  • I have clothes - even though I couldn't find what I wanted to wear, I did have something to put on.
  • I have a job - in today's economy that's a very, very good thing
  • I have a roof over my head - The house I live in isn't my dream home, but I'm dry and warm.

Sometimes it is really easy to focus on the negative feelings. I've found that I have to put positive things around me all the time to fight off those negative emotions. I read a lot of positive quotes and books. I've also stopped watching the news. I know that I want to change my life so I've started taking steps to change that attitude. It would be easier if it was a one time thing, but unfortunately I've learned that its a daily, even moment by moment process.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Holly! So excited you've started blogging!

    It's one of my most favorite things to do.

    Love that you were able to take the focus off yourself and the negative of the situation and turn it around for good. Our attitudes have such an influence on those around us. If I'm upset, so are Josh and the kids. If I'm happy (even when there's reason to be upset) Josh and the girls are happy, too. Thanks for the reminder to focus on the positive. I needed this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always seen you as a strong and positive person. You are the perfect mother and such an insperation to me. If you ever have bad days, you hide them well. A trait that I only can dream of having. I thank you for enlighting us all.

    ReplyDelete